See our ad above from the July 27, 2018 Whitehorse Star!
We apologize if we missed anyone in this ad. If you volunteered and do not see your name in the ad above, please contact us at email@example.com and we will list you here. Thank you again for volunteering!!!
Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Yukon River Quest. Without the people who give their time and energy each year, the race would not go on. The information below is for potential volunteers interested in getting in on the action, having lots of fun and helping us put on another great race!
How do I become a volunteer?
Please go to our new online Volunteer Site for 2019
Thanks to these YRQ 2018 Coordinators!!!
What will I do as a volunteer?
There are several opportunities to suit different personalities, interests and locations along the race…
Whitehorse (pre-race and race)
- Preparation of Race Packages (prior week)
- Meet & Greet (Mon)
- Registration (Tues)
- Boat and gear check (Tues-Wed)
- Marshalling (Tues-Wed)
- Communications Centre (shifts all race week)
Whitehorse Rotary Park Start (Wed.)
Carmacks Checkpoint: (Thurs-Fri)
- Station set-up at Coal Mine Campground
- Boat haulers
- Gear inspectors
- Clean-up crew throughout the day (20 hours)
Remote Checkpoints (CP), Monitor Points (MP) & Safety Boats:
- Safety boats: Lake Laberge (4-6 large boats capable of transporting racers/boats, needed from mid-afternoon to 0300 – fuel provided); 2 boats also needed for 5 Finger Rapids, 1-2 boats needed for Coffee Creek/60 Mile checkpoint crew shuttle
- Policeman’s Point CP (Wed)
- Lower Laberge CP camp. (Wed)
- 30 Mile MP camp (Wed-Thurs)
- Big Salmon MP camp (Thurs)
- Little Salmon MP camp (Thurs)
- Five Finger Rapids MP camp (Thurs-Fri)
- Fort Selkirk CP (Thurs-Fri)
- Coffee Creek CP (Thurs-Sat)
- Sixty Mile MP camp (Fri-Sat)
Dawson City Finish Line: (Fri-Sat)
- Station set-up
- Boat Haulers
- Gear Inspectors
- Awards Presentation set-up and take-down
Can I volunteer before Race Week?
Why yes! While most of the volunteer work is done just before and during the event, the YRQ board welcomes new members. We meet monthly year-round and more often closer to the race. See Calendar by clicking here for upcoming meetings.
What do I get for volunteering?
For at least 4 hours of volunteer time, you will receive a high quality official Yukon River Quest race shirt and recognition in our Thank You Ad in the Whitehorse Star. There’s also a great Volunteer Appreciation Party in Whitehorse after the race!