Volunteers are the lifeblood of the Yukon River Quest. Without the people who give their time and energy each year, the race would not go on. The information below is for potential volunteers interested in getting in on the action, having lots of fun and helping us put on another great race!
How do I become a volunteer?
YRQ Volunteer Form (downloadable pdf – open in Adobe Reader – please fill out and return)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the race office at 867-333-5628.
We are currently seeking various coordinators in Dawson City and Whitehorse for the 2018 race. If you are interested, please contact us to see what is available!
What will I do as a volunteer?
There are several opportunities to suit different personalities, interests and locations along the race…
- Preparation of Race Packages (prior week)
- Meet & Greet (Mon)
- Registration (Tues)
- Boat and gear check (Tues-Wed)
- Marshalling (Tues-Wed)
- Communications Centre (shifts all race week)
Rotary Park Start (Wed.)
- Station set-up
- Boat haulers
- Gear inspectors
- Clean-up crew throughout the day (20 hours)
- Safety boats: Lake Laberge (4-6 large boats capable of transporting racers/boats, needed from mid-afternoon to 0300 – fuel provided); 2 boats also needed for 5 Finger Rapids, 1-2 boats needed for Kirkman/60 Mile checkpoint crew shuttle
- Policeman’s Point (Wed)
- Lower Laberge. (Wed)
- 30 Mile Monitor Camp (Wed-Thurs)
- Little Salmon (Thurs)
- Fort Selkirk (Thurs-Fri)
- Brittania Creek (Thurs-Fri)
- Kirkman Creek (Thurs-Sat)
- Sixty Mile (Fri-Sat)
- Station set-up
- Boat Haulers
- Gear Inspectors
- Awards Banquet set-up and take-down
Can I volunteer before Race Week?
Why yes! While most of the volunteer work is done just before and during the event, the YRQ board welcomes new members. We meet monthly year-round and more often closer to the race. See Calendar by clicking here for upcoming meetings.
What do I get for volunteering?
For at least 4 hours of volunteer time, you will receive a high quality official Yukon River Quest race shirt and recognition in our Thank You Ad in the Whitehorse Star. There’s also a great Volunteer Appreciation Party in Whitehorse after the race!